Today’s Friday Focus is how to get ahead for 2021 with five quickfire tips.
- Write down a list of all the important tasks you need to pick up upon your return to work. Create a list, categorise, write a due date, a priority and an owner, this ensures you don’t forget the essentials and the agreed owners over the festive period.
- Write a thank you note to your team, quick, snappy, witty if you can and thank person by person. Celebrate the note together.
Write your team a letter is a good read if you need inspiration.
- Arrange personal development plan meetings for the first week of January, this ensures your teams know you are thinking about their progress and enables you to check in on their breaks personally. Ensure you book a 45-minute slot with an agenda shown so there will be no anxiety for an unspecific meeting in the new year.
Optimise your meetings will be an important read to help with poor meeting etiquette or management
- Manage your 2021 calendar today: Block out times in your calendar for the new year, habits start small and you create habits by starting early, building a prompt and creating the behaviour. Start by blocking out times for deep work (if you are a morning person book out 90-minute slots in the morning, if you are an afternoon person block out 90 minutes after 15.00).
It’s also a great time to start planning the Q1 2021 offsites and management team training.
- Annual reviews re-reviewed: Annual reviews can be productive or counterproductive, what makes one party happy often makes the other frustrated. Book in a re-review session in the new year to review the annual review and offer three clear steps for the more negative elements more proactive for your team member or team. It is essential that you build trust and set expectations from your leaders to make everything proactive and actionable.
A good follow up to read is: what leadership is
Hidden leaders is a good read if you would like to understand your teams and your people better and uncovering your brilliant secret weapon.
End the year in the right way, start the new in the new way that will help your colleagues and teams deliver excellence and feel like 2021 is their year.