At the start of the year, I spoke at a number of virtual events, at The Future Of Work & Workforce presentation I introduced the concept of the next office, the arena. Although the office had performance based work and many performed for their audience at work, we are seeing the shift to the hybrid workplace.
The hybrid future is going to be a forcing function to revamp the office, changing the HQ from a traditional office, to the office 3.0 – the arena.
The Office Was:
The agreed place to perform a series of work tasks.
To improve the performance and revenues of the company.
A place to develop and advance your career.
The Arena Is:
The place to bring people together with a shared connection or love for something.
- To connect
- To collaborate
- To guide
- To perform
- To entertain
- To put on a show
- Enable (safe) collaboration
These are essential elements of contrast but also of similarity, many of these elements were seen in the office, they were not clear elements of the office much thought of or understand.
These elements are going to essential parts of embracing the hybrid future and enabling success for all staff whether they are working in the office, a designated satellite office or working remotely or working from home.
Why The Shift From Office To Arena
- We will need to be able to collaborate in small groups in bigger spaces
- Mandatory based trust
- We have seen remote & WFH work & be productive
- There will be a demand to offer flexibility
- We will need to be able to create presentations that are interactive, enables in-person and remote presentations with the same experience & interaction
- Enable shows like in an arena meaning tribal surroundings of safety alongside ensuring you have the best equipment for streaming high-quality audio and high-quality video – for live broadcasts and on-demand replays. This is close to live concerts streamed or sporting events broadcasted
In the rest of the actionable presentation, I discuss the importance of the office, the importance of the hybrid workplace and how you build for the future by amending the office into an office as an arena for people and business successes.
I include tools to use, ways to think and concepts to consider when approaching the office as an arena and building for future successes.
The Actions To Take:
- Adapt your office into an arena, build-out safer larger spaces in existing or new offices, invest in technology; video, audio, connectivity and purpose-built software not just forcing the current software to do the job
- Invest in better IT software and hardware, invest in to better microphones, better webcams or connecting smartphones to work laptops
- Value others time – be deliberate in reducing grabbing or stealing others time
- Adopt principles, write internal memos, share & explain interactively i.e screen records etc
- If you are large enough consider building satellite offices to enable onsite, not offsites
- Build out hybrid offices and look at membership to offices so it is flexible and safe, that offers choices to your teams
- Invest in tools developed for hybrid offices, virtual HQ’s, project and campaign based tools that enable video recordings, screen recordings via tools like Loom
- It is essential to bring teams together by building stronger bonds and connections
- Help departments connect internally through better relationship building and being more deliberate with asynchronous communications – deliberate > over-communicating
- Help cross-functional teams understand objectives & create the right kick-off meetings and engaging updates
If you would help redesigning your office or converting your office into an arena and develop your environment, happily get in touch.
Want A Copy Of The Office As An Arena Presentation?
For a copy of the Office 3.0 Office As An Arena PDF please click the button below to request a copy.
Welcome to building the future, The Hybrid Future.